Non-local Applicants

Non-local Applicants

Who are non-local applicants?

Applicants who hold the following visa / permit issued by the Director of Immigration are defined as non-local applicants:

  1. Student visa / entry permit
  2. Visa under the Immigration Arrangement for Non-Local Graduates (IANG)
  3. Dependant visa / entry permit (students who were 18 years old or above when they were issued with such visa / entry permit by the Director of Immigration)

Visa Application

According to regulations stipulated by the Immigration Department, non-local students who do not have the right of abode / right to land in Hong Kong are required to apply for a valid HKSAR student visa / entry permit through their Hong Kong institutions, which will take up the sponsorship for their studies in Hong Kong. HSUHK will assist those admitted students in applying for student visas / entry permits. Persons with visitor visas are not allowed to study in Hong Kong.

The application process normally takes around 6-8 weeks. The Immigration Department will take longer time during the summer peak season. Students are advised to submit visa applications with all documents required as soon as you have accepted the admission offer and settled the enrolment deposit.

For applicants who are given conditional admission offers, they may submit application for student visa / entry permit before condition(s) are met and confirmed. The University reserves the final decision to withdraw the sponsorship for the student visa / entry permit application if the applicants cannot meet the admission condition(s) and has the right to inform the Immigration Department accordingly.

Non-local students who are unable to present a valid visa at the time of registration will not be allowed to register.

Cost of Living

The cost of living in Hong Kong is generally high. The estimated basic cost of living for a single student is around HK$10,000 to HK$15,000 per month to cover food, lodging and general living expenses, depending on the type of accommodation selected and level of living and personal expenses. The above estimate does not include the tuition fee which may vary by programme depending on the credit load to be taken.

Personal Accident and Medical Insurance / Travel Insurance

It is mandatory for all non-local students to have suitable and adequate insurance which should include but not limited to travel, personal accident, medical expenses (accident and non-accident), hospitalization and emergency evacuation/repatriation throughout the entire period of their studies in Hong Kong.